Forensic Accounting or financial forensics is used for investigating financial records for legal purposes like mergers and acquisitions, bankruptcy proceedings etc. This field combines financial accounting and criminal investigation together to find a fraudulent financial activity coming out from, within or outside of the company or organization. Forensic accountants are financial detectives who audit, investigate and ascertain the accuracy of financial reporting documents, often in connection with anticipated or ongoing legal action. Forensic accountants are also referred to as forensic auditors or investigative auditors; they often have to submit expert evidence at an eventual trial. Most large accounting firms have forensic accounting departments. They are trained to look beyond the numbers and deal with the business reality of the situation.
Commerce graduates who wish to take forensic accounting as a career need to qualify as a chartered accountant and then specialise in forensic accounting. However to be considered as an expert, they need to gain experience working on various cases. Some forensic accountants also specialize in areas like insurance fraud, mergers and acquisitions, specialised bank audits etc.
|Stream of Study in 12th Grade/School
|Degree/ Graduation Courses
|Higher education / After Graduation Courses:
- Pursue professional certification for CA or CPA
- Pursue M.Com
- Post Graduate Diploma in Forensic Accounting
- Certificate Course in Forensic Accounting Professional
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Expert
- Certified Bank Forensic Accounting and Certified Vigilance and Investigation.
- Short Term Certificate in Forensic Accounting and Fraud Examiner for 2 months
- Advanced Certification in Forensic Accounting and Fraud Examiner for 6 months
- PG Certification (Gold) in Forensic Accounting and Fraud Examiner for 12 months
- Certification (Expert) in Forensic Accounting and Fraud Examiner for 6 months
- Specialized Certification in Forensic Accounting and Fraud Examiner for 12 months
- Universal Certification in Forensic Accounting and Fraud Examiner for 12 months
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, Delhi