Product designers are professionals who balance functionality and design to create a product. They create a wide range of items, from everyday items like mobile phones, household appliances, and automobiles to larger items like industrial tools, equipment, and machinery. They do background research to understand the current products, products of their competitors, and customers' needs. Using this knowledge, they sketch or build innovative products that will appeal to their customers. These professionals work with teams to outline and develop the product. They are responsible for selecting the shape, size, colours, and materials used when creating a product. Product designers can work on existing products or create a new product to solve an existing problem.
|Stream of Study at 12th:
||Students who wish to become product designers can opt for any stream at the 12th level. However, it is recommended that they choose the Science stream.
After 10th, students can also pursue Certificate and Diploma courses in Design and related fields.
Students opting for a course in this field will be required to clear entrance examinations such as AIEED, UCEED, CEED, DAT, NIFT, or other institution-specific entrance examinations.
- Pursue B.Des. Product and Industrial Design for 4 years
- Pursue B.Des. in Product Design for 4 years
- Pursue B.V.A. (Bachelor of Visual Arts) in Product Design for 4 years
- Pursue B.A. in Product Design for 3 years
- Pursue B.Voc. in Product Design Management and Entrepreneurship for 3 years
- Pursue B.Voc. in Product Design for 3 years
- Pursue B.E. in Material Engineering for 4 years
- Pursue B.Tech in Material Engineering for 4 years
- Students can try to obtain practical hands-on experience through internships as well
|Higher education/After Graduation Courses:
- Pursue M.Des. in Product Design for 2 years
- Pursue M.Des. in Industrial Design for 2 years
- Pursue M.V.A. (Master of Visual Arts) in Product Design for 2 years
- Pursue M.Voc. in Design and Entrepreneurship (Product Design) for 2 years
- Pursue M.Sc. (Master of Science) in Product Design for 2 years
- Pursue M.E. in Material Engineering for 2 years
- Pursue M.Tech in Material Engineering for 2 years
- National Institute of Design (NID)
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)
- Amity University, Noida
- Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pune
- MIT Institute of Design, Pune
- Indian Institute of Art and Design, New Delhi
- GD Goenka University, School Of Fashion And Design, Gurgaon
- IIT Guwahati
- Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru
- IILM School of Design, Gurugram