Appraise, edit, and direct safekeeping of permanent records and historically valuable documents. Participate in research activities based on archival materials.
A graduate in history, political science, library science, public administration, and archival science can work as an archivist with archival coursework and some practical knowledge.
Almost all major colleges, institutions, and universities running regular arts and humanities courses, offer undergraduate and postgraduate programs required to become an archivist. Apart from these, diploma, PG diploma, and certificate courses are offered at:
- Gujarat Vidyapith, Ahmedabad;
- Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu;
- Gandhigram Rural Institute, Gandhigram;
- Osmania University, Hyderabad;
- Pondicherry University, Pondicherry;
- Maharshi Dayanand Saraswathi University, Ajmer;
- School of Archival Studies, New Delhi.