Musicians and singers play musical instruments or sing in studios or in live concerts. Musicians who play instruments specialise in a particular instrument like violin, guitar etc. Musicians and singers also specialise in various styles like classical, jazz, opera, hip-hop, and rock. They usually start practicing music at a very young age and intern with established musicians for years. Some musicians compose and sing in different forms or styles. They may work on their own or in collaboration with others. Competition in the field of music is high and musicians need to dedicate hours of practice to maintain and develop their skill and style.
Formal education is not mandatory to be a successful musician or singer. However, if a person wants to seek job as a professor at a college or university, they have to complete their Ph.D. degree in music after completion of masters and pass auditions.
|Stream of Study in 12th Grade/School:
- BA in Music (Hons.)
- Bachelor of Performing Arts(Music)
- Bachelor of Music - Hindustani Classical Instrumental
- Diploma in Music or 2 years.
|Higher education/Post Graduation Courses:
- Master’s Degree in Fine Arts in Music for 2 years.
- Master of Arts in Music Appreciation for 1-2 years
- Ph.D. degree Fine Arts in Music degree after completing Master Degree.
- Visva Bharati, Birbhum (West Bengal)
- Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata
- AR Rahman's KM Music Conservatory, Chennai
- Shankar Mahadevan Academy
- University of Mumbai, Department of Music, Mumbai
- Ramjas College, New Delhi
- Calcutta School Of Music, Kolkata
- Swarnabhoomi Academy Of Music