Language specialists interpret and translate spoken and written words. They are also known as Interpreters or Translators. They often have near native proficiency in two languages. For example, an interpreter working on translating French to English, should be proficient in both languages. They have to correctly interpret and translate the meaning. Translators usually specialise in genres like medical, judicial, technical or literary terms. They work as teachers in high school, foreign language translators with government services or assist software designers in speech recognition technologies. Translators working with government services are expected to have cross cultural sensitivity and understanding of customs and traditions.
High school teachers require to complete post-graduation in the language that they are specialising in.
|Stream of Study in 12th Grade/School:
- B.A.(H) (French/Spanish/German)for 3 years
- B.A in Foreign Language for 3 years
- B.A Foreign Language and Intercultural studies
- B.A (Hindi)
- B.A (English)
|Higher education/Post Graduation Courses:
- Masters in Foreign Language (same language chosen in graduation) for 2 years in India or Abroad
- Post Graduate Diploma in foreign language
- Certificate course/ Diploma course from foreign embassy culture centres.
- M.A (Hindi)
- M.Phil. in Language for 2 years and (or) Ph.D. in Language for 3-5 years after completing Master’s Degree.
- School of Languages, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- University of Delhi, New Delhi
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Jawaharlal Nehru Academy of Languages, New Delhi
- Japanese Information and Cultural Centre, New Delhi
- Ram Krishna Mission, Kolkata
- Alliance Francaise
- Rajasthan University, Jaipur
- Max Mueller Bhavan in Mumbai, Kolkata, New Delhi and Chennai
- Pune University, Pune
- Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages, Hyderabad
- Indo Italian Chamber of Commerce, Mumbai
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- University of Mumbai
- University of Calcutta
- IGNOU School of Languages, All over India
- English & Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad